Cricket Ireland cancels interprovincial T20 more links to Northamptonshire Covid instance


Cricket Ireland has cancelled an interprovincial T20 scheduled for Wednesday due to concerns about a potential Covid-19″chain of transmission” into the Bob Willis Trophy game between Northamptonshire and Gloucestershire which was left in the weekend.

The T20 involving Munster Reds and Northern Knights was expected to occur in Cork, but had been called off until the Knights went down Tuesday. Cricket Ireland explained that Paul Stirling, the Ireland batsman that has been playing Northants at the Vitality T20 Blast, had come into contact with some Knights players although he wasn’t a part of this squad that the game wouldn’t proceed.

Northamptonshire have claimed mostly distinct red- and – white-ball squads, and haven’t shown the name of the participant whose positive evaluation resulted in this Bristol abandonment. But, three of the flatmates are a part of their T20 setup along with Stirling, who’d taken advantage of this break in unmanned fittings to come home to Belfast.

Cricket Ireland’s high performance manager Richard Holdsworth explained they were awaiting confirmation from Northamptonshire the three had tested negative, but one outcome hadn’t return time.

“While exceptionally unfortunate, we’ve accepted a risk management strategy to our conclusion,” Holdsworth said. “There’s simply no hint that Paul has contracted the virus, however until each of 3 evaluations of the Northants team-mates are returned, we do not know conclusively if the chain of transmission was broken.

“That really is an instance of a’close touch of a potential close touch’, although Paul is slightly removed from the participant who tested positive, we left the choice on the match as late as you can check if Northants had obtained the evaluation results of Paul’s team-mates.

“Paul was not at the squad for tomorrow’s match but was connected with a few Knights team-mates over the weekend. Given that the extended bus trip the Knights must take for the game at Cork, they had been going down now and staying overnight in Cork. We delayed the bus passing time provided that we could trusting Northants could find the test outcome, but it did not arrive in time, so we reluctantly had to cancel the excursion for a precaution.

“These are unprecedented activities, but we’re concerned first and foremost with protecting the health and security of staff, players, match volunteers, officials and people family members near the gamers.”


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here