Somalia’s security forces on Sunday ended a virtually five-hour siege by Islamic extremists in a beachside resort in Somalia’s capital, said police and a government spokesman.
At least 15 individuals were murdered when the Turks invaded the Elite Hotel, a brand new institution favorite with Mogadishu’s young men and women, said Col. Ahmed Aden, ” a police officer.
Security forces afterwards killed all four taxpayers and rescued dozens of individuals who were trapped within the resort, Ismail Mukhtar, spokesman of Somalia’s data ministry told The Associated Press.
The assault began in the afternoon using a powerful car bomb blast which blew off the safety gates into the resort. Subsequently gunmen ran indoors and took hostages, mainly young women and men who had been dining there, ” he explained.
Ambulance sirens could be observed from the region that had a power outage once the attack began.
Somalia’s homegrown Islamic extremist rebels, al-Shabab, that are allied to al-Qaida, have claimed responsibility for the assault via its own radio arm, Andalus.
The resort attack struck a period of calm that had lasted for a couple of months. Before this season Somalia needed a spate of bomb attacks.