Mayor of Portland, Oregon, tear gassed by National Representatives


PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) — The mayor of Portland, Oregon, was tear gassed from the U.S. authorities late Wednesday as he stood in a fence protecting a national courthouse during the night of protest against the existence of federal agents delivered by President Donald Trump to quell unrest in town.

Mayor Ted Wheeler, a Democrat, said it had been the very first time he had been tear gassed and seemed slightly dazed and coughed as he put on a set of goggles somebody handed him drank water. He did not leave his place in the front, however, and proceeded to take petrol. About Wheeler, the demonstration raged, with demonstrators light a massive fire at the distance between the fence as well as the Mark O. Hatfield Federal Courthouse and the pop-pop-pop of national agents deploying tear gas and stun grenades into the audience.

It was not immediately clear if the authorities understood Wheeler was at the audience if they used the tear gas.

Earlier in the night, Wheeler was largely jeered as he attempted to rally demonstrators who’ve battled nightly with national agents but was temporarily applauded when he cried”Black Lives Issue” and pumped his fist in the air. The mayor has opposed federal agents’ existence in Oregon’s largest city, but he’s faced harsh criticism from several sides and his existence was not welcomed by most, that cried and swore at him.

“I wish to thank the tens of thousands of you that have proven to oppose the Trump government’s occupation of the town,” Wheeler told countless people gathered downtown near the federal courthouse. “The reason that is significant is it isn’t only occurring in Portland… we are on the front line in Portland.”

Many Portland residents, such as City Council members, have accused Wheeler of not reining in local authorities, who’ve used tear gas several days before federal agents came early this month in reaction to almost two weeks of every protests because George Floyd was murdered. Others, such as business leaders, have condemned Wheeler for not bringing the situation under control prior to the agents showed up.

Department of Homeland Security acting Secretary Chad Wolf said federal agents weren’t inflaming the situation in Portland. He advised”CBS This Morning” on Thursday that the mayor has been legitimizing criminality from town.

“That which we understand is before DHS law enforcement, civil law enforcement, officials arrived at Portland, the mayor is on record as stating that town is on — includes a particular degree of violence,” Wolf stated. “It had been continuing nicely for a month before we came.”

Protesters from the crowd held signs aloft that read”Tear Gas Ted” with regard to the Portland Police Bureau’s use of this material before federal agents came. After the mayor abandoned the demonstration, about 12:40 a.m., a few protesters surrounded him shouted angrily at him as he walked off. 1 man shouted,”You have got to be here every time!”

While accepting questions Wednesday night — and he had been tear gassed — Wheeler was criticized for the activities of his police department, not defunding the local authorities, nationwide movement that strives to divert funds from policing to community needs like housing and schooling, rather than needing Portland police shield individuals from national agents. The mayor said he would like to utilize the energy of their protests to produce changes.

Wheeler then dealt with the much bigger audience from a balcony that was raised, stating”I’m here tonight to stay with you”

Before Wednesday, the City Council banned authorities from interfering with federal representatives or arresting colleagues or legal observers.

Wheeler’s stressed night appearance downtown came hours after lawyers for Oregon urged a judge to issue a restraining order against representatives set up to quell the protests.

The arguments in the country and the U.S. government came in a lawsuit filed by Oregon Attorney General Ellen Rosenblum, who accuses national agents of arresting protesters without probable cause, whisking them away in unmarked cars and using excess force. Federal governments have disputed those allegations.

The litigation is part of this expanding pushback into Trump sending federal agents to Portland and declaring that they’d be likely to Chicago and Albuquerque, New Mexico, to combat rising crime, a movement that is deepening the country’s political split and possibly establishing a constitutional crisis months before the presidential elections. Democratic mayors of 15 cities resisted the use of national officials at a letter to the U.S. attorney general.

The court hearing centered on the action of over 100 national agents reacting to protests beyond the Mark O. Hatfield Federal Courthouse, which is a goal for those demonstrations.

The motion for a temporary restraining order asks U.S. District Judge Michael Mosman to control agents in the Department of Homeland Security, Customs and Border Patrol, Federal Protective Service and U.S. Marshals Service to instantly stop detaining protesters without probable causeto identify their bureau prior to arresting anybody, and clarify why an arrest is occurring.

The country acknowledged that federal representatives have the right to shield the courthouse but contended they had overstepped.

Rosenblum, the state attorney general, stated she wanted the court to”announce it not suitable for national officers to utilize unconstitutional, police-state-type functions to detain citizens of Oregon without reason.”

David Morrell, a lawyer for the U.S. government, known as the movement”extraordinary” and said that it had been based solely on”a couple of declarations” from witnesses and also a Twitter video.

“The Hatfield courthouse didn’t harm itself,” he said, calling the protests”volatile and dangerous.”

The litigation is just one of many filed over government’ answer to the Portland protests. On Thursday, a judge will hear arguments in a legal struggle which the American Civil Liberties Union filed on behalf of journalists and legal observers who say that they were attacked and targeted by Portland police whilst recording demonstrations.

A freelance photographer covering the protests for The Associated Press filed an affidavit he was beaten with batons, chemical peels and struck with rubber bullets.

A U.S. judge previously ruled that journalists and legal observers are exempt from authorities orders requiring protesters to distribute once an unlawful meeting was declared. Federal attorneys say that journalists ought to have to leave if ordered.

The ACLU filed a second lawsuit Wednesday on behalf of volunteer medics who’ve been attending to wounded protesters. It means that federal agents have used rubber bullets, tear gas, pepper spray, batons and stun grenades against medics in breach of national protections for freedom of speech and liberty of motion.

Authorities say protesters have attempted repeatedly to break into the federal courthouse and put fires and the federal agents push back them with tear gas and stun grenades.

Federal governments have defended their response, saying officials in Oregon were reluctant to work together to stop the vandalism against the U.S. violence and waiver against officials.


Associated Press authors Sara Cline at Salem, Oregon, Nicholas K. Geranios at Spokane, Washington, and Colleen Long and Ben Fox in Washington, D.C., contributed to the report.


Follow Gillian Flaccus on Twitter in


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here